Photos: Morocco, Part 1
Morocco is a sensory overload. The North-African nation that reaches from the Atlantic and Mediterranean through the High Atlas Mountains to the edge of the Sahara and throughout, it’s a country that floods all five senses with unique stimuli.
Nowhere is this more evident than in Marrakech’s main square Djemaa El-Fna. It’s a microcosm of the nation where dancers and musicians are bathed in the smoke from nearby food vendors who sell anything that can be consumed by human beings and some things that probably shouldn’t be. Snake charmers and monkey handlers drape you with living beasts you might not be ready to have clinging to you. Story tellers tell tales next to open-air dentists who can fix you up if you’ve fared poorly after renting boxing gloves and going toe to toe with a stranger. Surrounding all this is a maze of Islamic architecture housing souks, hammams, riads and mosques.
Djemaa El-Fna is the most concentrated burst of Moroccan culture, but the rest of the country follows it lead with similar sights, sounds and experiences.
This gallery is only one part of my photos from Morocco. Make sure you check out Part 2 of my Morocco images here. And for even more images from Morocco, have a look at my sandscapes from Zagora.
01. The fortified city of Ait Benhaddou reflected in the neaby river, a ksar between Marrakech and the Sahara desert in Morocco.
02. A teapot and other Moroccan crafts.
03. The fortified city of Ait Benhaddou, a ksar between Marrakech and the Sahara desert in Morocco.
04. A panoramic view of Ait Benhaddou showing the oasis on one side and the barren desert on the other. (Click for a larger image.)
05. A Tuareg woman admires the view of Ait Benhaddou at sunset.
06. A closer view of one of the kasbahs at Ait Benhaddou, Morocco.
07. A panoramic view of Djemaa El-Fna, the main square of Marrakech at dusk. (Click for a larger image.)
08. Sunbeams stream into a busy souk/souq in Marrakech.
09. A Moroccan woman walks in front of a highly textured wall in Marrakech.
10. A patio in the Ben Youssef Medersa in Marrakech, Morocco.
11. A man rides a bicycle through one of Marrach’s souks.
12. Steam and smoke rise from the food stalls in the Djemaa El-Fna market in Marrakech.
13. A woman walks in an alley in Marrakech.
14. A silhouette of a camel at Erg Chebbi in the Sahara desert.
15. Trekkers ride camels on the sand dunes of Erb Chebbi.
16. A close up of the face of a camel in the Saraha desert.
17. Tajine pots on sale in Morroco.
18. The city of Tinerhir and its oasis in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco.
19. A woman walks in an alleyway in Ouarzazate, Morocco.
20. Looking up in a courtyard of kasbah Taourirt in Ouarzazate, Morocco.
21. A man walks in an alley in Ouarzazate, Morocco.
22. A woman walks in front of crafts on display in Ouarzazate, Morocco.
23. The Portuguese cistern in El Jadida, Morocco.
24. Sunset over the boats in the port of El Jadida, Morocco.
25. Cars leave light trails as they travel on the winding roads of the Dades Gorge at night.
26. Ruins of the bascilica at the Roman ruins at Volubilis, Morocco.
27. The main road of Volubilis leading to the Triumphal Arch at sunset.
28. The capitol at the Roman ruins at Volubilis, Morocco.
29. The Triumphal Arch amidst the ruins of Volubilis, Morocco.
30. A ruined archway at the Roman ruins at Volubilis, Morocco.
If you are interested in seeing more images, please contact me and let me know what you need.
Leave a Reply